Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A wonderful weekend away!

We successfully crammed as much as we could into one weekend-a fun 48 hours & 500+ miles!
Friday looked something like this- Pick Chris up from work right at 5pm, drive to Charlottesville, drop the dogs (speed race down 29 with Adam) & spend the evening at one of my fav places to meet friends...Mellow Mushroom.  Danae, Spence, Chris Spencer & Adam met up with us on the corner for pizza & beer.  We celebrated the start of summer & Danae's birthday in style.  I think Chris said it best as we drove through campus..."it did not feel like Charlottesville, until we were at Mellow Mushroom"




Bright and early Saturday morning, mom & I headed back down to the corner to run the Abundant Life 5k.

  What a great way to start the day, work off the pizza/beer from the night before & race for a great cause.  Although I think a turtle could have passed us on the first mile, we sped up & finished in just over 31 minutes.  Not bad for 5 1/2 hours of sleep, Charlottesville hills & steamy humidity!  


Back home for a typical Sylvester breakfast of homemade, whole wheat Belgium waffles.  I needed to run another 5k afterward, but they always hit the spot.

Back on the road to DC to meet up with Jane-Lauren & David for the NATS game.  A good nap in the car & I was ready to take on the DC metro.  We were typical tourist & totally enamored by the city.  We met up with JL & D and off we went to the stadium. 




We did a little switch-a-roo to trade in Sunday's tickets in order to get 4 seats together on Saturday.  Great idea until we found someone in our seats!!!



To our surprise, we found Blacksburg friends in our seats.  What a small world!  It was a treat to share our seats with Wendy, David, Daisy & Wendy's parents.  Daisy is always a joy to be around & could be the happiest baby I have ever met.  Talk about a chill little lady.

 Even though the Nats did not win, we still had a great time & I loved my first MLB experience.  Plus, I was able to try out my new zoom lens:)





After the game we met up with some of Chris's friends from college (Mary Washington) for an amazing dinner in Arlington.  Thanks to my parents for keeping the dogs for the night so we could stay in the city.  We crashed at JL & D's for the evening. (Note: Not sure what happened to the camera lens, but it looked cool, plus, it was the one of the few pics that turned out!)



Sunday morning we headed back to Charlottesville for a quick Father's Day lunch & got back on the road again to head back HOME to Blacksburg.  Although I was not able to make it to Zazus for my favorite Smoked Turkey Wrap, I was able to treat a friend to a special delivery from...

I am sad that we were not able to fit in a couple things..Zazus, seeing Jen's new house/ helping with the move, or seeing Caleb & Donna, but that just means we will have to make another trip.

We are back home, unpacked (kind of) and settling back into a week of routine.  I must say that as much as I enjoyed the city & all it had to offer, I am glad to be back to small town life, a slower pace & blacksburg traffic.  What a great start to the summer.  I love weekend getaways!

Until next time...

2 comments:

Sarah Wooldridge said...

yes, I know about those hills..AWFUL :) Looks like fun!

Lisa said...

what a fun weekend! now you've got Charlotte to look forward to :)

Post a Comment